There are lots of great ways to find out more about Maryknoll. Also, Maryknoll offers several excellent resources for learning more about mission and the people we work with around the world: (is there an easy way to get some kind of logo buttons for these entries, from the respective websites?)
- Read about the three entities that make up the Maryknoll mission movement here:
- Become a part of the Maryknoll mission movement in your own community via the Maryknoll Affiliates. Look for a chapter near you!
- Find out about other short-term opportunities abroad with Maryknoll
- There are also several great books and films about Maryknollers. Here are just a few:
- Penny Lernoux's Hearts On Fire is an excellent history of the Maryknoll Sisters.
- The Same Fate as the Poor by Maryknoll Sister Judith Noone is the inspiring account of the lives of three Maryknoll Sisters who made the "option for the poor" and paid the ultimate price
- The 15-part video series, The Field Afar, explores the richness, vibrancy and spirit alive in the world today as experienced by Maryknoll missioners: priests, brothers, sisters, and lay people.
- Renowned spiritual writer Henri Nouwen tells of his time studying Spanish with Maryknoll in Cochabamba, and living and working alongside Maryknoll missioners in Lima, Peru, in ¡Gracias! A Latin American Journal.
- Roses in December
- And be sure to subscribe to the Maryknoll Magazine! Or, if you're interested in practicing your Spanish, try the bilingual Revista Maryknoll!
- The Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers' Mission Education website offers various opportunities to learn more about mission and Maryknoll.
Other Maryknoll Resources:
- For excellent peace and justice resources, check out the Maryknoll Office of Global Concerns. Sign up for Action Alerts and NewsNotes to learn about important news from around the world, from the people's perspective – and find out how you can get make a difference!
- For a lifetime's worth of reading on faith, spirituality, mission, and Catholic life, go to Orbis Books – the publishing arm of the Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers.
- The Maryknoll Sisters offer a world-class Mission Institute – a chance to learn about mission from some of the best scholars and practitioners in the world, and engage with others who share your passion for mission.
- Maryknoll has long been a supporter of SOA Watch (School of the Americas Watch), founded by former Maryknoll priest, Fr. Roy Bourgeois, who began his missionary career right here in Bolivia. SOA Watch is committed to peace and ending militarism, with a special focus on closing the U.S. Army's Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC). Formerly called the School of the Americas and known to many Latin Americans as the "School of Assassins," WHINSEC trains Latin American military officers, and has been linked to many of the worst atrocities committed in the region from the height of the Cold War to the present. Check out SOA Watch, and help them convince Congress to quit funding the SOA!